Any person who receives a non-criminal moving violation ticket can elect to attend a Florida Basic Driver Improvement course instead of points being added to their driving record, as long as the violation was not for:
- Exceeding the speed limit by 30 MPH or more
- Carrying a vehicle's certificate of registration while the car is in use
- Driving a motor vehicle with expired registration
- Driving a motor vehicle with an expired driver's license of six months or less
- Driving a motor vehicle without carrying a driver's license
Commercial driver's license or commercial learner's permit holders are not eligible for BDI regardless of whether they were driving a commercial vehicle. Also, anyone cited while operating a commercial vehicle is not eligible.
You may attend Florida traffic school course only once every 12 months and no more than five times during your lifetime.
To check your eligibility, visit https://services.flhsmv.gov/dlcheck/.