Frequent Asked Questions:
Is Highway Traffic School's 4-Hour TVS Operator course licensed by the California DMV?
Yes. The California DMV has licensed Highway Traffic School to provide the 4-hour TVS Operator renewal course.
Click here to see our certification.
What is a Traffic Violator School (TVS) Operator?
A TVS Operator is a person who directs and manages the operation of a traffic school. This may be a school owner or another person designated by the owner to manage and operate the school's day-to-day activities.
All California DMV-Licensed traffic violator schools are required to have an operator. Each operator must renew their license annually and take a 4-hour Operator Renewal course as a continuing education requirement.
How long does the California TVS Operator course take to complete?
California law required this course to be at least 4-hours long. There is no need to take all the 4-hours in one sitting, unless you are in a hurry. Our system will allow you to save your work and log in and out as often as you like.
What is covered in the TVS Operator renewal course?
The 4-hour TVS Operator course must cover the following topics for credit per California rules:
- Licensing and renewal requirements for TVS owners and operators.
- Responsibilities of a TVS operator.
- Requirements for owners to get a TVS school licensed.
- Instructor licensing procedures and requirements.
- Office procedures.
- TVS statutes and regulations.
- Recordkeeping and document retention requirements.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements (beginning with 42 U.S.C. Sec. 12101).
- Responsibilities of a TVS instructor.
- Subject material required by the department for a Traffic Violator School program.
- New traffic laws.
- Safe driving practices.
- Effective methods and techniques of teaching.
- Techniques for student participation.
These topics are condensed into six lessons. The course is presented with text and images, similar to an e-book format. Participation questions will also promote participation and engagement throughout the course.
Is there a final exam?
Yes, there is a required final exam. The exam consists of 25 questions in multiple-choice and true-false format. You must pass the exam with a score of 70% or higher and may take the exam an unlimited number of times to get a passing score. In addition, the exam is an open book so that you can refer back to the course material during the exam.
Can I take the course on any device?
Yes. Our course is compatible with any smartphone, tablet, or PC. You may access and take your course on any device as long as it is connected to the internet and you are using one of the following up-to-date internet browsers: